Consumers should switch to a cheaper NBN service, the Federal Government’s NBN chief has warned.
The Government will launch its first national fibre-to-the-node (FTTN) rollout in December, and the Opposition says it is a mistake.
“I think there’s a real sense of disappointment in terms of what we’re seeing,” Communications Minister Mitch Fifield said on Monday.
While the Coalition promised to build the NBN “to the highest standards”, Mr Fifield also said it is not clear if the NBN can deliver the service that Labor promised.
Mr Fifield and other Coalition ministers have promised to deliver the NBN by 2021.
NBN Co’s chief executive, Ziggy Switkowski, has said there are problems with the rollout of the NBN in Australia.
He said on Tuesday that the Government needs to find a way to fix those problems.
But Mr Fiffoot warned consumers would need to wait until the next election, because the NBN was in the process of being rolled out in all states.
A spokesman for NBN Co said the company was “disappointed by the current state of affairs” and was working to find an alternative solution.
However, the Coalition has criticised the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) for failing to stop NBN Co from rolling out the NBN and its own policy that NBN Co should get a federal subsidy if it can deliver its FTTN service.
FCC chairman Greg Hunt has called for a review of the Coalition’s policy.
Last month, NBN Co announced it would invest $50 million in upgrading its fibre-optic network, which it has said will reduce latency, improve reliability and increase speeds.